Volvo XC90 Charging Guide Overview
The Volvo XC90 is one of the hippest plug-in hybrids on the market and was Motor Trend’s SUV of the year when it debuted. If you have recently purchased the T8 plug-in hybrid model of the Volvo XC90 or are considering the XC90, you will want to think through your charging plan, including purchasing a charger for your home.
If you are a fan of the Volvo XC90 then you likely know that not all models of the car are equipped for plug-in charging. While many XC90s sold are traditional gas-powered vehicles, Volvo has introduced the T8 model for those who are eager to get on the renewable bandwagon. Volvo also offers plug-in hybrid models of its XC60 (crossover) and S90 (sedan) vehicles. Later this year, Volvo will also offer the V60 and S60 in plug-in hybrid models. And Volvo should be applauded for its efforts, including its goal to have fully electric vehicles comprise fifty percent of its global auto sales by 2025.
Many EV and plug-in hybrid owners choose to charge their vehicles at work or while running errands at retail locations, but home charging is definitely increasing in popularity.
Another reason you’ll need to think through your plans for charging your Volvo XC90 at home – Volvo home charging stations are currently SOLD OUT. That means drivers who want a level 2 charger at home will need to purchase a non-Volvo brand charging station. A customer service rep I spoke with said they hope to have Volvo home charging stations available for purchase at dealerships by the end of this year, but there is no definite timeline for their return. Further, Volvo used to include a level 2 charger with the sale of each plug-in hybrid, but that is no longer the case. Currently, only the 120 volt charging cable comes standard.
With this guide, Ohm Home wants to help you find the best Level 2 charger for charging your Volvo XC90 at home. We’ve also included some info on the best choices for charging while you are on-the-go.
Charging the Volvo XC90: Using Your Home Charger
The 2019 Volvo XC90 comes with features to assist in managing charging including features in the Volvo On Call app. If you want a quick read without having to page through a lengthy owners’ manual, we recommend reading Volvo’s guide to Charging the T8 While Traveling. Or get started using your level 2 home charger with these quick Volvo XC90 charging steps:
Thankfully, charging your Volvo XC90 is as simple as plugging in a toaster (or any other electrical appliance).
- First, place the Volvo XC90 in park and power off.
- Connect the charging cord to a 120 volt outlet or your level 2 charging station.
- Remove the cover from the charge port and connect the charging cord to the vehicle. The charging coupler will lock onto the charge port and the remaining charge time and charge status will display on the vehicle’s instrument panel.
- When the Volvo XC90 battery is full it will stop charging on its own. When you are ready to get on the move, unplug the charger and replace and close the charge cap and port. Volvo cautions to always remove the charging cable from the car first before unplugging the cable from the outlet.
2019 Volvo XC90 Charging Options and Times
The 2019 Volvo XC90 model T80 provides an estimated all electric range of up to 19 miles. Beyond the all-electric range, the hybrid vehicle has improved fuel mileage of up to 63 miles per gallon. The vehicle’s 9.2 kWh battery requires the following charge times:
- Volvo XC90 Level 2 Charging – 240V Electrical Charge
- Charging the battery to full charge will take approximately 2.5 hours
- Volvo XC90 Level 3 DC Quick Charger for Vehicles With Quick Port Capability– 480V Electrical Charge
- Unfortunately, the Volvo XC90 does not support Level 3 charging.
- Volvo XC90 Trickle Charging – 120V Electrical Charge
- Charging the battery to full charge will take approximately 7 hours.
This handy chart breaks down the miles charged per hour by charging method:
|Charge Type||Hours to Full Charge|
|Level 1 - 120 V||7 hours|
|Level 2 - 240 V||2.5 hours|
|Level 3 - 480 V||Not Compatible with the XC90|
The Volvo XC90 comes standard with a charger cord that can be used with a standard 120 volt outlet.
The Level 2 charger is 3x as fast as the Level 1 or 120V charger that comes standard with all EV models.
2019 Volvo XC90 Charging Features
The following are standard charging features on the Volvo XC90:
- Volvo On Call App – Volvo has developed an easy to use for all Volvo vehicles. Downloadable from the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store, this app allows you to remotely check fuel and battery levels. The app also allows you to remotely control cabin temperature and monitor vehicle range and performance among many other smart features.
- Choose Your Own Drive Mode – The Volvo XC90 T8 model allows you to seamlessly switch between hybrid drive mode and electric-only Pure mode.
- Heads Up Display– This windshield display feature allows the driver to see key performance features including battery performance and range without even having to look down.
The Level 2 charger is 5x as fast as the Level 1 or 120V charger that comes standard with all EV models.
Best Level 2 Charger for Volvo XC90
- Best Wi-Fi Enabled Charger – The AeroVironment charger has many attractive features including Wi-Fi capability and JuiceNet. JuiceNet aggregates charging station demand and can control when your car is actively charging in order to maximize your use of less expensive and cleaner energy mixes. The AeroVironment charger used to retail for $700, making it one of the more expensive EV Level 2 chargers on the market, but a recent price reduction to $600 brings it in line with many other EV chargers on the market. Given its wi-fi and JuiceNet capabilities, it is one of the premier chargers on the market.
- Most Affordable Charger – The most affordable charger reviewed by OhmHome is the Siemens Versicharge. Many of the features offered by a Wi-fi EV charger, including remotely checking battery level and starting charging, can be done through advanced features of Volvo On Call mobile app, so this basic EV charger model may be the right fit for you.
- Runner Ups – OhmHome has also reviewed 3 other Level 2 Chargers some of which are less expensive than the AeroVironment ($350 – $600) and have similar features. All the charger models listed are greater than 30 amps, but there is the option to purchase a 16 amp model that will yield lower charging. The JuiceBox charger and the Chargepoint charger are two of the most popular chargers and, similar to the AeroVironment come with Wi-fi connectivity and advanced controls. It’s not a necessity, but Wi-fi connectivity can be a nice feature for those that want to manage their charging via Amazon Alexa or other smart home device.
|JuiceBox Pro 40-Amp||Smallest in class and great for California drivers||Wifi enabled with app and connection to rewards program||10 x 6 x 3 inches||Check Current Price on Amazon|
|Siemens VC30GRYU Versicharge 30-Amp (Editor's Pick)||Best value and high quality ratings||Siemens quality (UL labs), Wifi options||20.5 x 18 x 15 inches||Check Current Price on Amazon|
|ChargePoint 32-Amp||Sleek and lightweight||App connects to Chargepoint network, Wifi enabled||18.5 x 15 x 7 inches||Check Current Price on Amazon|
|ClipperCreek HCS-40P||Sturdy U.S.-made model||Best-in class 3 year warranty||NA||Check Current Price on Amazon|
When you’re ready to install your level 2 charging station, Amazon makes it easy to book a handyman online by answering a few simple questions about your charging setup.
Public Charging Stations for Volvo XC90
If you are taking a roadtrip or commuting in your Volvo XC90, you will likely want to stop and use a fast charging station. Except for Tesla, XC90s are compatible with any other manufacturer’s charging station. DC fast charging has expanded significantly in the U.S. and the Department of Transportation has established formal EV fast charging corridors. Volvo recommends using the PlugShare app to find a public charging station near you. Unfortunately, the Volvo XC90 plug-in hybrid is not equipped for Level 3 DC fast charging, which greatly reduces charge time. Nevertheless, public charging stations offering Level 2 charging will come in very handy for many Volvo owners.